Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Colo the gorilla

I saw today that Colo, who lived in
Columbus, died yesterday.  At 60, she 
surpassed the normal gorilla age
 by two decades.  I don't know how
Ringling brothers treated their
elephants, and I'm sad to see
the circus go, but (and forgive me
if you are a PETA advocate) this
proves that animals are doing
well in zoos.  We went to the
Columbus zoo several years
ago and the animals there
had lots of stimulation,
toys to play with, and seemed
to be enjoying life in enclosures
that resembled their lives in
the wild as closely as possible.
Yes, things go wrong.  But overall,
having these animals in zoos not
only helps keep them from going
extinct, but as Steve Irwin was
fond of saying, "If you see the
animal you want to save it".
Animals in Africa, the rainforest,
wherever, are wonderful.  But we
don't have any personal knowledge of
them and will probably never
travel to Africa or the outback
of Australia.  This will be the
"normal" person's only chance to
see them.  OK, I'm off my soapbox
and my sympathies go out to everyone
at the Columbus zoo as they  mourn
the loss of this beautiful animal.

Onto the card:


This card has the marbeled cardstock
background.  I think it would have
been better with a darker colour
because it doesn't seem to show off the
corner die cut as well, but it's a
little darker in person.  If I do
something like that again, I may
do a black and white and then
the sentiment in red.  I think that
would be striking.  I like those
three colours together.
It's rainy and windy out this morning,
but I hear it will be in the mid 40's later.
As long as it's not snowy and icy I
guess I'm not complaining-too much!!
Happy hump day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

great design, not so great colour!

This card didn't come out like I hoped. I don't like the colour of the card stock. But it's still a great design. ...