Tuesday, April 5, 2016

It's a Deaf, Deaf, Deaf, Deaf World

What an experience.  The first thing
is that there were about 50 people 
there and not a sound.  Of
course, as hearing people, you can
hear people walking, whispering
as they are mouthing the signs,
that sort of thing, but it was
as close as a hearing person can 
get to the silence a Deaf person
experiences.  There were
6 stations, bank, cafe, hospital, 
job application, electronics store 
and real estate office.
One of the guys in our class, Dave,
stayed with me throughout and
that helped.  I was really nervous.
I did not do well at the job application
or the electronics store.  That one was
strange.  You were supposed to
tell them that your grandmother's
smoke alarm wasn't working
and you needed a new one.
OK.  Well, I knew a few of those
words but not all.  My teacher, Pam,
was there when this was happening.
The lady at the station was signing
it and I knew what she was saying
but I didn't have a clue what she was
trying to get me to say.  Turns out that
Pam didn't have a clue, either, so I
didn't feel so bad.  She's been signing
for 25 years!  For the first time I don't
think I did too badly.  Out of 10, I got
4 6's and 2 7's.  I did really well at
the cafe.  You were supposed to order
eggs, toast and coffee and then, OOPS!
you forgot your wallet!  At the bank you
were to get an 800. loan.  He asked
me if I was going to pay it back weekly, 
monthly, if I had a job, things like
that, so I did well there, too.  And I 
enjoyed the real estate office, 
as well.  Dave
doesn't play by the rules, lol.  So he 
robbed the bank!  They got a kick out
of that and wanted to know what he
was going to do with the money he got
in the robbery!  At the hospital he told
them he was having a baby and that
his water broke, things like that.  It 
was hilarious!  He had the most
points and won a prize.  I'm glad I 
went and had the experience.
Maybe if I go next year I'll do
better ( I SHOULD do better
after another year!)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really good time! You're learning so much in a short period of time! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm trying, but I still have so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete

great design, not so great colour!

This card didn't come out like I hoped. I don't like the colour of the card stock. But it's still a great design. ...