Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Eve

It hardly seems like a typical Christmas eve.  The grass
is green, it's been raining and it's warm.  Warm!!
So I'm not complaining. No tree; I got rid of that
last year and there really seems to be no need for it anyway.
Christmas eve has always been special to me, 
moreso than Christmas day.  Every Christmas 
eve we would go to my Uncle Chuck's and he had
a huge party/reunion.  I can remember
the crunch of snow under my feet
and all the colorful lights on the streets. 
The air was so crisp.  In those days
it didn't bother me like it does now.  
In his living room was a HUGE Christmas tree.  
At least it seemed like a huge tree to me.
In the basement he had a bar. There was  lots of
noise, cigarette smoke and drinking.
I got my first taste of alcohol at
one of those parties!  My grandma Sanders
called me over and gave me a sip of hers.  I don't 
know what it was, but it didn't seem so bad.  I was
probably 10 or so.  It wasn't  something I would 
have continued, but it tasted OK.  Then she 
told me I could put water in a bottle after I drank
some and it would mix in.  Thanks, Grandma!  I filed 
that away.  Eventually I  tried it with wine my dad was
 making at home.  Busted. I came home from school one
day and he was holding the jug up to the window.
He must have seen me in the window.  He sighed
and said, "Either my wine has gone bad or
someone has been watering it."  I said, "Grandma
told me to!"  I don't think she meant every day...
I was so cool coming home from school
and having some wine and my cigarette (that I didn't
inhale!)    Well, that's a story
for another time.  He actually didn't get
mad, which was a miracle for him .  How
did I get so off track?  So I've always loved 
Christmas eve.  When my kids were
older I would always let them open one
present on Christmas eve-I got to
pick which one.  We would have cheese
and crackers I ordered from the Swiss colony catalogue.
When John and I got married I started a tradition
of having the whole family (both sides) to dinner
on Christmas eve.  It was a wonderful evening of
sharing and just enjoying each other's company.
I wish I could go back to that day but so many
are gone now, either Home to Jesus or just across the 
country.  On Christmas day, starting when my oldest, Nathan, 
was only 8 months old, I started reading the Christmas 
story before any presents were opened. 
 I wanted them to understand that Christmas was 
so much more than presents  to open in the morning.
I'm glad I have those memories to bring out
when I'm feeling sad.  Memories of a more
carefree and happy time when there just
didn't seem to be the pain that comes when
you get older.    But life is not stagnant.
If it were, there would be no point.
We have to continue to grow and experience
all life has to offer.


I do have a card if you are not bored to
tears by now and skip it altogether!  This is just
a simple black and white die cut card.  I'm shocked
that I was able to get it centered perfectly
on the first try!  I can't draw a straight
line with a ruler generally!

Still no baby.  Obviously her body just isn't
ready yet.  I'm not sure why they insist on
pushing things when mother nature will
take care of it on her own if just left
well enough alone.  When I had my babies
I didn't know what they were before they
were here and I gave birth when my body
told me it was time.  Everyone is in
such a hurry these days.  Life is meant
to be enjoyed and you can't enjoy
it if you are rushing through it.
Wow, I'm quite philosophical today.
I'd better quit while I'm ahead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

great design, not so great colour!

This card didn't come out like I hoped. I don't like the colour of the card stock. But it's still a great design. ...